Monday, November 16, 2009

Poison Ivy?

I am extreamly sensitive to this horrible plant so I try to avoid it at all costs. i haven't had it in probably 10 years but alas it has become an occupational hazard as I am an insurance inspector and sometimes have to go near vacent lots over run with it. I've already been to the hostipal for the shot and all drugs he prescribed to me. That being done and not being able to find the remedies my mom gave me when I would get it what else can I do to help it go away? It is on my eye, nose chin, chest, and legs and quickly spreading. I have 3 kids and the dr told me to try not to touch them too much until it goes away. Not an easy feat when you have a 17 month old who had decided to start teething again and only wants to be held. I have the Calidryl clear what else can I do?

Poison Ivy?
I feel for you. My husband's a tree trimmer and if he looks at poison oak he's got it. And he has to go to emergency to get the shot and the pills too. I've done research and cannot find an alternative. None of the over the counter stuff seems to work. The thing that works the best, in addition to the prescribed meds, is to change the bedsheets frequently. His seems to get better faster when I remember to do that. Also, don't take baths because that supposedly makes it spread faster.
Reply:First off, get a new doctor. Poison Ivy can only be spread if the oil from the plant is still on you. The fluid in the blisters contains nothing of the poison ivy.





Benadryl will help with the itching, but not wise to take oral medications like that if you are breast feeding.





In the future, if you are going to a location that has poison ivy, or you think it might, wash all the exposed areas of your skin within 10 minutes of contact. Learn to recognize all the different varieties of the plant so you can avoid it.

dieffenbacbia

No comments:

Post a Comment