Friday, November 20, 2009

Poison ivy - will it scar?

I've had poison ivy for 2 weeks now. The itch part is mostly over, but I have the weirdest "leftovers" to deal with and I'm worrying about scarring.





One - is a patch on my thigh of redish dry skin... it almost looks like Gorbachev's birthmark and its dry and flaky but moisturizer/lotion does nothing to help.





second is a three inch long scratch-like mark on my other thigh that keeps scabbing up and actually is very painful - especially when i walk - not itchy - painful.





And the WORST is a half-dollar sized round patch on my ankle that stays moist - it won't really scab up and it doesn't ooze, but its always damp. I don't think it's infected - just red and uneven to the touch. If I put a band-aid or neosporin on it it gets all drainy and, well, it doesn't seem good. I feel like my ankle is rotting, not healing.





Help!

Poison ivy - will it scar?
No, it will not scar. It needs time to heal. If it gets unbearable or spreads too much, go to the doctor and they may be able to give you a shot to help the healing.


1 comment:

  1. Depends on how deep the damage it. Most people won't have scars unless they scratch (further damage) the skin. The skin may be discolored for a short while, but that's not actually a scar.

    ReplyDelete