Saturday, April 24, 2010

Could this be poison ivy? Burned wood in fire pit...?

Last night I burned wood in my fire pit. The wood is near some poison ivy in my yard (approx 1' away from what I can see), I didn't touch it, I used tools to carry it. While burning I was pretty close to the fire since it was cold last night. This morning when I woke up my face didn't feel right, kind of dry and tight, my cheek bones looked red/pink almost as if I had put blush on and looked puffier than normal :). Throughout the day I noticed the texture of my face was almost rough. Almost like little bumps, however it was not noticeable to my coworkers. It's felt more than it's seen. I went to my doctor and I think I got little help there. He gave me an antihistamine, and if that didn't work a script for steroids. He says I may have had a reaction to the smoke/heat (?!). He said if I develop a rash in the next few days to use the steroids but from previous experience with poison ivy, oak, etc. I usually have a serious problem within 48hrs, not 4 days. + My bday is Sunday! I'm afraid

Could this be poison ivy? Burned wood in fire pit...?
It sounds like it might be poison ivy. The oils of poison ivy that irritate your skin can travel through the air when the plant is burned. That happened to me once at a bonfire and it was one of the worst cases of poison ivy I've ever had. I suggest taking prednisone as soon as possible to possibly decrease the amount the poison ivy develops. Though it might just be heat rash, I'm not sure, but from experience I would guess that it's poison ivy.
Reply:The source below talks about poison ivy and other skin rashes.


No comments:

Post a Comment